Felicia Learning in NIE

Thursday, September 02, 2004

Time is a real issue

I have never been more busy ... never!

There are so much to learn ..... so much....

There are so much to say, to recall, to record, never had the time ...

This has been a tiring week... a real tiring week ....

HMMM... blogger seems like a good idea, to record my things, my learning..and reflections...

What I enjoyed most during this week is about my PED 514 class .... while leading the class through our presentation on equality I learnt alot and reflected alot .... and I really hope I will continue reflecting so that I can keep track of my teaching and methodology. Reflection is indeed important.....

What I learnt this week .... Assumption .... Sometimes, we assume that others understands us... e.g. .... During Geog presentation, though we were given our roles.... our backgrounds... lots of other things had been assumed.... though we were told that we are suppose to know the rules in class and know how to behave... some wat I was not sure... true, this is just a 'practice' session... but such assumption did course confusion, and the class did get noiser and more rowdy.... And thinking back, during my presentation, I assumed that the four girls had left the class, while they assumed that they were still in it.. hence... there was confusion.

With this in mind, with all the movement of IT, creative learning.... are we assuming that everyone has the access to these resources easily? For example, nie sends out emails.. lots and lots of emails... important ones for our experience week.... and I was thinking.. what if I come from a really poor family whoes one and only computer has spoilt and missed that lecture.. and we are threaten with a pay cut for not attending? Is the school assuming that we all are 'rich' enough to own a computer?

I was jus thinking to myself... there are so many notice boards around.. all of them filled with information for all sorts of activities.. but not notices to inform us of such news.... Not only that, I sat through many tutorials and lots of them are presented with interesting and beautiful power point... but the point is such fancinating visuals are distracting our (or at least my) attention. For example, a group classmates was doing a powerpoint to teach lit.... and they came out with colourful pictures, in the end, the class became more interested in where they got the pictures from rather then the lesson plans itself.... in that case, are we missing out the whole point of using a powerpoint? Anyway... this IT thingy is a big issue to me... yes and I know I have to advance myself with it... :(

The other point that I have learnt..... As teachers.. we have our ideal... our aims... our standards... we expect students to reach a certain level... I feel that we should let students know that level.... For example... During one of my classes... we have to present lots of things.. it is always group work.. presentation.. blar blar... the lecturer have never commented much about the presentations.. excepts... the visuals are nice.... or... interesting... And after that, we all just hand in our assignments... the lesson was wrapped up...and all was said,"We have rounded up this session!" I thought to myself.... I travel... EVERYDAY 2.5 hrs to BOONLAY... sit in a 1.5 hr lecture hoping to learn some tips on teaching so that I am prepared for the real school then hmmmm I end up listening to endless persentation.. without debriefs without out really dissucing what everyone has does... better still... I handed in the assignment... went through the presentation.. and I am still not sure what I did was good or no good, right or not right... best or can be improved :) SO.. What have I learnt ? I really dunno... Yes I am very very irriatated... This is exactly like O and A levels... you just write your answers... hand it in.,.. get a mark and enver know where you went right or wrong....And that makes me remind myself.. If I should ever gives projects or presentation.. I have to make sure I give a good review.... or feedback to my students :)

And yes.. readings....I was given some readings... what happen was... hmmm... the lectuer only asked... what do you like most about the reading? .... Did you do the readings? And that was about it!!!!! Then wat is the point of going though those readings? ... I hate it.. its like going through the motion... LOOK! I know I am new to this force.. I still have lots of passion.. aspirations... ideals... dreams what have you.. but I really think.. this profession is really about giving... should I ever lose this passion.. and find myself going through the motion.. I should QUIT! :) And dun waste my student's time...ARgh... okie I think I had hard and long day.. but yes... today... I completely wasted my time!!!!! Not only we didnt discuss the reading.... We went thought the tranparency LINE by LINE!!!! Good ness! I can forgive my lectuers in the uni for doing so... I can forgive my teacher in sec for doing so.. but not TEACHERS who are traning teachers!!!! I can read.. and I do suspect that I have a rather good comprehension ability.. so if the entire lecture is about reading off some old 30yr old looking tranparancy from the OHP, let me photocopy them and read them at home.. dun make me travel across the island for such a usless activity....

Gosh... argh... haa come to think of it.. this blogger is kind of cool :) At least I am venting these out.. and yup being sacastic is something I have aquired along the way.. didnt realise that I am doing it while teaching as well.. so I should change this part huh ....

Anyway I am really excitied about the experience week... waht am I to do? I really hope I can learn alot there... ... well.... :)

Okie.. time to sleep.... its 1230 am ... and what... i have to wake at 5 am... to travel ..hopfully to a fruitful class :( I have really no time... sigh... life? Used to be able to visit my piano teacher on today every year.. didnt even manage to call her this yr... :( Happy teachers' day Miss Lee :)


2 Comments:

  • At 2 September 2004 at 13:52, Blogger WJ said…

    hello =)
    Good job on the PED514 class! I really enjoyed the class.
    Angel

     
  • At 2 September 2004 at 21:09, Blogger voyager said…

    many many good points raised.

    well done :-)

    regarding the thing about the hypothetical poor family, my take on this is that the ball remains squarely in the trainee's court to take responsibility of his / her learning and administrative duties :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home