Felicia Learning in NIE

Monday, September 06, 2004

Morning world :)

Yups... Its 3 30 am and I am suppose to be up at 5 :) ops!

Hmmm.. just read through my last posting... gosh! so many grammar mistakes ... hmmmm :)

Spoke to my fav primary school teacher just now on the phone...waoh! she has been teaching for 30 years! And she still loves it! I loved her too.... she is always positive... funny.... willing to accept new ideas, explantion... maybe that is why I remember her so dearly ....

She said something that reminded me .... What ever a parent does to a teacher, we should never take it out on the child... Hmmmm.... I was a victim of it... some of my pri school teachers.. kinda didnt liked me cos my dad was too vocal in school.. they sure took it out on me... had some rough patches.. moved on and have forgotten.... And then after hearing .. i suddenly realise... I am like that at times too... I was teaching drama a few years back... this parent confronted me and told the other parents saying that her child learns nothing from me.. coz he doesnt remember what I had taught... really took it personally... after that, i made the child repeats the lesson's objectives and whatever that he had learnt after every lesson... when he cants.. I made him repeat it till he remembers... make sure he kept his notes, and constantly picked on him to question him... i sure dislike him.. and i m rather sure he disliked me as well.... and gosh... he was only 6 :( how.. horrible.... how horrible....

How can I do it to the innocent one when i knew how it feels when i was a victim?

Went for the geog gathering... it is interesting... totally enjoyed the debated Dr Yeung had with the other teachers... recalled my days in NUS with him... suddenly I realise... there is something different about him (at least to me) he is open with his thoughts... he tells... just like my pri school teacher. .... They both have this similarity.... if you have something to say and can prove me wrong.. tell me I am willing to hear... i may not agree but I want to hear....hmmm this is one trade I want to learn... to accept others ideas...

He also mentioned that we (singaporeans) are good with aplication.. but not invention ... that is true! will at least to me.... I have been teaching drama close to 7 years! hmmm never seem to have invented much style huh.... I may be good with puting up with end of year productions and streets performaces for students... but when it comes to teaching.. i steal my methodologies from London, from Aust teaching style, never by myself????? I read up, look at the trend... then copy what ever that comes along... one book says.. starts from improvisation.. i start one class in that manner.. the other book says... from poem.. the next class does from that.... May be that is why I feel stagnanet now...

Gosh.. talkin about that..... I have been really stressed up... this is my final paper.. for my drama... gosh.. been doing this course for like the past 15 years... it is finally completing.....Liecentate in Speech and Drama... from Trinity College... hehhee how does it sound? cool right.... okie... its hard work... n yes I fear not passin..and dragging on....but I must do it... end it... came so far.. cannot give up...... :) Cant express that relief... the pride... the excitment... but I am pretty drain by now... kinda not coping with time... waking up at 5 to go NIE... ending at 5pm then rush to teach to clock in hours for the paper.. then rush to class to do my pieces.. then rush home to do papers... till like now...3 am? ??? hmmmm.... Lord...bless me with the wisdom and strength to go on and to plan my time better...

Talking about drama... I just wonder... will i ever get the chance to teach it? :) That would be nice..... this year... I have to miss the drama congress going to be ehld in aust....cos... NIE..I missed the international drama educators congress in Canada...already.. because of NIE as well....... :( Hmmmm.... well :) just recalling the things we did in the last congress... it rather cool actually..... used one of the tips during my lit class.. hehhee the lecturer took my tranparancy, used it as a summary of her class... how convient for her :) well then i guess it shows that it is of some quality... heeh hhee :) whatever....

It is rather intersting actually... instead of the usual analyse this and that,,, then wirte it down... we actually drew a picture of a stick man....read a short story.. then what ever others say about a chosen character... you put it around the stick man.... what ever actions he does.... write them into his hands... what ever he thinks... you put it in his head... and so on.... the picture explains... inner thoughts... chacterisation very well.......actually there are so many intersting ways to teach lit..... okie... thats my job... :)

I have always thought that teaching is rather generic....if you can teach a you can teach b,c, d... but somehow ever since i entered nie... hmmm doesnt seem that way.... I wanted to incorporate what I have learnt in drama into geog... somehow it doesnt fit.... then I though to myself....
1. I m not farmiliar with geog yet.
2. I m not reading enough on both geog and drama to combine it... cos I am sure drama can do it since it is so versatile...
3. OPS! I m jus not creative enough....
4. I am not thinking hard enough.....


Then again... hmmm how? Role play? one to be a rock.. another student to be another rock? let the third be the river that flows through? This is neither role play nor geog....

I actually wanted to do a poem ..... but ... hmmmmm it sort of dun fit.... as it is... students are put of by poems... me too... till only recently. i changed my ideas aobut geog...

I really want to do something about it... i have to... combine them in some way... i really believe that it will make the geog lesson so much better.... k right after about my drama exams... I am seriously going to do it... and find means :) I started loving geog when my teacher took out plastercine, compressed them.. then told me... this is how fold mountains are formed... hahah I was so so excited by it,,, dun understand y.. but that tha was so cool! so understanable...... and fell in love with the subject... Well.... time for me to come out with something like that :)

My tution kid broke down at my place... i was so shocked... she is a new student.... seen me only 4 times..... and she broke down crying that she is very stressed with work... poor girl... i did that too.. remembered so clearly....anyway. i was supposed to teach her english... when she realised I will be teaching geog.. so asked for help.... hmmmm gave her a big picture-overview about agriculture... that is a primary industry....where by you can classifly the types of farming into .....input.. processs....output... she told me that she have never seen it that way. and said that I helped a lot....... hmmmmm and she is sitting for this years o levels....arent thoes basic???? she doesnt seem like thoes who doesnt pay attention in class... and it is not possible that her teacher hasnt told her what i have said and she should have read her text books... so waht happened?..anyway... it felt good helping her...

Oh during my French lesson... tot my new french teacher wrote so smally.... i could see a thing... and he wrote in red... it was so so so so difficult to see... ARgh.... Tat reminds me... my handwriting sucks... hhaha i cant read them myself ... at times... i beta do something about it.... this is real funny... i am so so embrassed by my own handwriting I went to take up a handwriting course.... spent a good ten days writing my abc again... well it helped a little.. but yes its still bad... hehhee and yes I must remember.. no red.. or as little red as possible.. its hard to read!

I also realise taht comical teachers are always nice to have.... jovial... funny... intersting..... my french teacher was real funny .... funny with style :) so was my pri teacher... they are very frim pp.... they make sure you do your work... hand them on time.. listens to class.. but they are really funny..... even when you make mistakes... they managed to make the class laugh.. but you are not embrassed and ya... you learnt as well :) And rule no. 1 NEVER laugh at your own joke... no 2... NEVER... giggle to yourself.... you really like silly.... cos I have met teachers who laugh to themselves/at themselves!And yup the lesson becomes worse....this is an aquired skill... and somehow.. to do that.. hmmmm..... i think it starts with the enjoyment and passion for teaching... so... hmmm it is not true that 'its the passion teachers who burns out all the time' as what some lecutures have said in NIE :(


The most ideal thing is to pass on both the passion and the technicalities which help pp to pass. But with limited time and rescourse.. which would you pass on? I dunno ... have always thought you should pass on the passion... let the students like the subject frist... when they have interest... learning will be so much easier....by then without you they have the paassion to move on..... hmmm but some totaly disagree... what if you get the students to like the subject.. but they just do not have the tools to score in them? It was a real wet blanket when some lectures said that.....so am i too idealistic? I am not saying that a student should go gaga over a subject.. but can you imagine... you are taught imagery, metaphors... purpose for cultivation, adv disave of tourism.... you just memorised them reproduce them during exams and hate them for the rest of your life.. cos they completely mean nothing! I really dunno....then again.. yes... some pp likes the subject but just cant score in them... so?


I am rather curious wat kind of teacher will I become..... come to think of it... reallly wonder... how much of our lesson plans can we use... and will we really have the time to set thoes plans? okie... my mind in wondering.... it 440...beta sleep soon!

Good morning ..................yawn ....

1 Comments:

  • At 7 September 2004 at 22:10, Blogger WJ said…

    Wow, amazing entry... you look like you're really having a productive reflection time going on in these two long entries! =) Angel

     

Post a Comment

<< Home